Thursday, December 31, 2009

Closing Out the Year

About 2 weeks ago, in a building located in our nation's capital, I officially went into the record books as being scottish. The headquarters of the DAR (Daughter's of the American Revolution) approved my application to become a member, after several years of hunting down records connecting me with my Scottish immigrant ancestor, Daniel Bartholomew who arrived in America on the fateful day of July 4, 1776.

Becoming a member of this honored society has been a goal for many years and is just one of the many things I am able to celebrate this year. I've got quite a list, as you'll see below.  I don't know why I'm obsessed with my ancestry (Scottish, Italian, English, Germany, Irish & Welsh) but for me, it forms not only who I am but my link with history and all of its discoveries and stories. So each December 31st as people put together their list of resolutions, I prefer to look back at all the good things that have happened over the year. My stories. My history. The resolutions are something I think should be dealt with each day, not just at the dawn of a new year.
And so, if you feel so inclined, my list of celebrations. My little history of 2009 is below. Enjoy.

(In no particular order)
1. Getting a full-time teaching job at Urbana High School
2. Becoming a member of the DAR
3. Adding another year of swing dancing to my dance card
4. Reconnecting with old friends through facebook
5. The birth of another baby amongst my friends
6. Working at Wrigley Field for Rascal Flatts & Billy Joel/Elton John
7. Working for 2 days in the rain for O.A.R. who thanked me with gift cards
8. Moving to Urbana
9. Attending Summerfest in Milwaukee after a 2 year absence
10. Playing beach volleyball
11. Watching Wellspring, my small group, expand and grow
12. Watching my new favorite TV show, Psych
13. Reading Echo in the Bone which finally was released only to be left with more cliffhangers!
14. Participating in Lyrics for Life day in September
15. Participating in the Chicago Olympic Bid process
16. Seeing the Leon's back up from Peru for a few weeks
17. Discovering the music of Snow Patrol & Tyrone Wells
18. Singing in the staff performance at the Winter Assembly in Urbana
19. Many, many nights at Fizz & Summer Dance
20. Watching Park Community Church truly work hard to transform Chicago & its Family
21. Becoming a true WXRT fan
22. Learning the Shim Sham
23. Begin writing as a pen-pal with a distant family member in Italy
24. Watching the final season of BBC's Robin Hood
25. Plenty of time spent with girlfriends
26. Developing new friendships in Urbana
27. Seeing Public Enemies after having watched it being filmed in Chicago
28. Movie/Game nights on Chicago Ave at the crooked apartment
29. Discovering I can become an Italian citizen
30. Being invited to a private swing lesson with Tom, a fellow dancer
31. Finding the Champaign swing scene, despite it being nothing like Chicago's scene
32. A weekend in Michigan with friends before moving
33. Visits by Sarah, Amy & Kathryn to see me in Champaign!

There are plenty more I could add, but that's as long of a list as I'd like to make.

Tomorrow marks the new dawn of a new day. A new year. A new decade. Use it as motivation to do good, be good and share some good with everyone around you! Make your own history. 

KB

No comments:

Post a Comment