Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The End is Near

WE had our department meeting today and as I've discovered, this time of year teachers are concerned with one topic at every meeting: How many school days are left? 

I have found that most count the school days. We're at 31 contact days, 32 total school days remaining. I'd rather count down the total DAYS until we are done, weekends and all. Its a more realistic picture, and as much as I am a dreamer, I am also the one who has to sit in the window seat on the plane so I can see our progress and tend to like being the driver so I can control how long it takes to get there. I want reality, not just hope.

It is with this in mind, as my seniors have verbally told me that they are through taking notes and caring about school that I announced that this is the last week of taking notes. (In my class of 10, 3 have stopped coming). REALLY? one of my students asked today when I made the annoucement. In their minds, May 25, last day for Seniors, is a long, long time away. They are all thinking of Prom on May 1st, which also seems like a long, long way away. In a way, the joke is on them. Because along with the ending of notes, comes their biggest challenge. Serious, dedicated, individual research and work.

I have created a final project for my students. Three of them, actually. They have a choice (choice is big in education today, its what the big guys call individualized instruction) of 3 options for their project. I've given them kitschy names in the hopes to real them in. But the true hook is the fact that if done correctly and with serious intent, each project could really help these kids down the road.

The first option is called "Moving Out - Independence." Students are going to research apartments, insurance, cars, furniture - the works. In 3 weeks they will present their findings and tell me how this project will help them once they get that graduation certificate. 

I know this has a possibility of success because one of my students is already asking me questions. This girl is not my brightest, but she comes to class and pays attention and does try. And unlike many of the students, actually asks what she misses when she is gone and what she needs to make up. In short, she has initiative. Well, yesterday this student informed me that she has been threatened by her landlord to be evicted. She moved in last month and has had some issues that were partially out of her control. We sat yesterday looking at her lease agreement during study hall. We also called the Federal Housing hotline to determine what her rights were (Not very helpful, but they did confirm the little I do know about housing law). As we went through everything, she took notes, so that she could know what to look for when she does her final project. Today was the last day before her landlord took action. We talked for a few minutes and then she called, using my advice on how to handle the situation. It was just another sign that my students trust me and are listening. GREAT!! I really needed this, considering I've had very little sleep the last few days due to the record pollen counts here.

My other 2 options should also prove to be helpful to my students. Option 2 is called Mission: Career Goals. In this one they explore how they get from where they are now as a high schooler and part-time worker to their ultimate dream job. I figured this would be good for some of my 2 sophomores and handful of juniors who are not quite at the moving out stage. They'll have to do some interviews of people in jobs they want among other research and a presentation, which may either solidify their desired job choice or make a change.  Option 3 is called Entrepreneur Extrodinaire. In this one, I gave a way for my students who want to start their own business to develop their plan of action. Again, a few interviews of other entrepreneurs and a bunch of research, but I know of at least 1 student who will probably pick this one.

So as I completed my last powerpoint for the year (I hope), I am sending good vibes for these projects. This is going to be really tough for these kids. I don't think they realize how spoon-fed they are here. We go easy on the amount of homework. We give them guided sheets to take notes on, otherwise they won't take them. We make quizzes a bit easier. This project is going to be all them. I've taught them all of the tools this year. Now they've got to put it together and show me how they will be real citizens in the world. I'm remaining optimistic!

In other news, the Mayor of Champaign has been taped stating that Obama is not an American since he won't show is birth certificate to the world. Ebertfest is underway. My allergy nurse is on the news just about every morning giving advice about "the worst pollen season." And in case you didn't know it, our Illinois State Representatives and Senators who are being pressured to pass a balanced budget for our sinking state are out playing an annual softball game. Only in America...

KB

2 comments:

  1. Love your "final project" ideas. Very inspiring. I hope it makes a positive impact on your students!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I could teach again (which, at this point, I don't think I could do), I would want to teach just like you. You're awesome. And the line "I want reality, not just hope," is poetry. Keep blogging . . . you're a gifted writer.

    ReplyDelete