Monday, January 10, 2011

Resolution Revelations & Other Ramblings

Yep, I am still on the Resolution topic.

It's been a strange mix of things today. Had a great morning teaching. Things seem to be going really well. I have so many ideas of videos to show my students I got a bit wrapped up in searching online for the best one. Currently, I'm searching for a good boardroom scene to show from the Apprentice for Coop1. We're going through firing and I figured that would be a good fit. It may also lead into my Coop2 class as we begin discussion on leadership. I may show an entire ep for that class. It's 5 students and tough to drag out. They don't talk much and most of the time I have just 2 of the 5 kids. Frustrating, to say the least. So, that's a work in progress.

After lunch, as I switched between a powerpoint and searching for Apprentice videos, a teacher stopped in our office. Every so often we get a teacher who says they didn't know the room where our office is located existed. Just before break was the last time it had happened. It is so funny! Perhaps because I was new last year and tried hard to figure out where everyone's offices are and what happens where in the building, I am rarely surprised. So when teachers who have been at the school a lot longer than I have been say they didn't know where our office is...well, seems strange, no? One of the principle rules of marketing is to know your product inside/out. I was told once that a wise marketer not only knows their product but also, in the case of concert promotion, know all you can about the city in which your product is being sold. I hold that same philosophy at school. If I want to do the best for my students, I need to know the building and the best places to direct them should they need it.

This leads to my next strange event of the day. A student whose 2nd language is English came to see my department chair today. He was preoccupied with a phone call. She said, in an Asian-influenced accent, that she needed help with homework. Then she clarified that it was history homework. McAndrew and I exchanged looks and I offered to help the student. It is strange that she came to a business teacher for history help. Perhaps she didn't realize we don't all know everything. That's a myth I would hate to break to her!! It was nice to help her though. Roosevelt and the New Deal. One of my favorite eras of history although one I obviously need to brush up on!

I sat in the waiting room after school at the allergy doctor's, waiting my 30 minute "not ill" approval to leave. A mom came in with her 2 elementary age sons. She worked on homework with them (I played solitaire on my phone...I won 1 of 7 games). She did such a great job and I kept smiling. The older son, probably 4th grade, had his math done but she told him he needed to explain how he did the problems so that she knew he could do it. So after a moment where you could tell he was thinking "why, mom?" the boy began to explain his math problems. He then whipped through science and was about to work on something else as I was getting ready to leave. It made me realize I really am glad I am teaching. Maybe this summer I'll work with younger kids somehow. Time shall tell.

This afternoon I made up my mind to sign up for a Park District class. I've been flirting with several options. I am dedicated to my 2 mile walks every day (1 of 3 so far, so batting average is pretty poor!) and I really need a good solid workout as many times a week as I can. While the 30 Day Shred videos are fantastic, they aren't going to make me do it every day. So I signed up for Cardio Kickboxing. I've never really done kickboxing but I definitely need to get my butt off the couch this year and if I pay for a class there is no way I'm missing it. (Keep me accountable!)

So it is that I continue to dive further into my push to resolutely hold to my goal of getting back in shape. The surgery was just the first step of many. I'm not going to beat myself up for eating too many cookies (I'm not making any more in January!!!) or for missing a walk. Instead, I am going to focus on what I am doing right. I have to keep looking forward and seeing the promise that every new days means an opportunity to live it right.

Wish me luck. I could be very sore in a few hours! I welcome the muscle pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment