Friday, July 31, 2015

Another New Beginning

As I sit here on Friday night, my last of the summer, I find myself reflecting on what has been amongst the hardest months of my life. This is not the first time I have felt this way, nor the last I would imagine. Each time the tough trials get tougher I have managed to remember one sure thing: I have overcome each of them.

A few months ago I was let go from my job. A job I loved passionately. The type of job I'd wished for since becoming a bone fide adult. It was a big blow, as nothing I did caused its occurrence. By all accounts I had been, and still am (!), a fantastic educator. In fact, over the course of the last few months I've had more praise handed my way than I can ever remember. (I love praise but am embarrassed when it is received and don't always acknowledge it well. So thank you to each who have said something kind!) From co-workers who have called me brave and a big loss to friends who have admired my tenacity and perseverance to my family who have seen my character my entire life and have served to enforce belief in myself and my abilities. Even today I was told I am "a hot commodity" being certified to teach in three content areas and at two different education levels. These are all things that have kept me going.

There was an episode of TURN: Washington's Spies where a character gives a toast saying, "Loss begets gain." When you are in the thick of losing something you so dearly wish to keep it is hard to see the truth behind the phrase. But now, I have what is shaping out to be an amazing new job in a new district and I am already seeing the gains I have been given. All of the co-workers I have met are beacons of light in the sea of education. They are passionate, collaborative and hard-working. They have all been friendly and have embraced me and trust me a lot. I certainly hope I live up to that trust in every way possible!

It has been difficult to find ways to write about this change over the last few months. I wish no ill upon my past employer and I'm coming closer to letting go of the difficulties I faced as a result of their decision.

There is joy in believing things happen for a reason. And I do believe it! I'm thrilled to kick the new year off on Monday. I hope to wow the socks off of people I will be working with. I can't wait to hike up my skirts and help students see the world and challenge what they know and believe about that world. To help them gain new skills in technology and engagement.

Happy last day of summer all. Happy....

KB

Post Script: TURN: Washington's Spies is a fantastic, historically-based TV show on AMC. If you haven't seen it, give it a go! I was recently part of a global Twitter campaign to push for the show to be renewed for a 3rd season, which, I am happy to report, was approved in small part to the contributions of our social media campaign!

1 comment:

  1. Nicely written, and every bit of it true. You have handled this year well dispite the rough times. You are beautiful inside and out and you have shined through this difficult job change. Have a wonderful year at your new school, I think it was all meant to be. Love you always.

    ReplyDelete