Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Quarantine Day 18: Balance - the Yin & Yang of Tuesday

I am one of those few fortunate folks who have a group of high school pals that still stay in touch. While not always great at consistent communication, we've been good about checking in on each other. We've had a group message string going since Illinois went on stay-at-home lockdown for The Pandemic. There has been lots of sharing of pictures, kids projects, funny memes and laughable moments. We need a little levity to keep our brains and anxiety from despair in a world turned upside down...or is that outside in?

One of those moments came yesterday. On our Monday Rollcall chat, one of our members wished everyone a, "Happy Tuesday!" It was hilarious. I think my favorite response to that was from one of our Ohio members, which read, "I thought it was tuwednesfriday. It is Marpile 45th, right?" We know just when to throw a funny in the mix to cover for gaffs. BALANCE.

But the friend who thought it was Tuesday gets a break. She is a teacher in higher ed and had wrapped up posting final grades around Midnight the previous evening. Not to mention, adjusting plans for her online course to accommodate students who aren't necessarily used to online courses.

In the midst of my 12 hour work day yesterday, getting plans ready as quick as I can a few days ahead and a last minute change of plans I wanted to implement today, I could totally relate. My word of the day yesterday was: BALANCE.

Unfortunately for my Professor friend, her never-ending Tuesday didn't end well tonight. Her 1898 home with old sewer pipes decided this was the moment to wreck havoc and pour sewage into her basement about ankle-deep. In conversations tonight to help calm her down and find some positivity, the poop puns poured out and it got us laughing. In her words, this was the longest Tuesday of her life. My response was, Oh Crap... BALANCE.

There are times when I am sure people think I spend way too much time online. I admit I do. I know that even when I watch the news at night, I need to be doing something on my phone or computer. This isn't really new for me. Even in high school (or church) I learned that I listen better if I am DOING something. In high school it was writing down song lyrics. In church it might be surfing Twitter. Either way, I am still tuned in. But all this online activity, particularly with the My Peak Challenge fitness subgroups I am a part of, I've had dozens of conversations I could be a part of and people to check in on or have check in on me. It makes such a difference. It boosts morale and enforces positivity.

I hope each of you are finding balance as we go through this new normal. Keep up the social distancing, hand washing and (let's be real) online ordering.

Til the next installment,
KB


No comments:

Post a Comment