Friday, October 9, 2009

Breaking the Rules Can Be Dangerous

I woke up yesterday and just felt - different. It was pouring rain outside. Okay, to be honest it was about to pour rain outside, according to our local meteorologist who I believe is younger than I am. Anyway, I decided to get ready as quick as I could and head to work before the rain really set in.

As soon as I put my foot on the ground after watching the weather I knew in my head I was not going to obey any of my rainy day rules. I don't know why. I'm usually really strict with my rules and any rule in general. That habit in and of itself can be dangerous, when you aren't willing to sway from the line. But here are the rules I broke that I never break.
1) Don't wear white on days it rains. I don't think I need to go into detail there. 
2) Don't wear jeans on days it is going to precipitate. I learned that lesson at Great America in 5th grade.
3) Don't straighten your hair on wet days. It's going to fight its way back to curl all day.

So there you are. My 3 top rainy day rules. And I wore jeans, a white shirt with my pink blazer and straightened my hair because it is getting to long and has become a replica of Medusa minus the snakes.

I suppose you could argue I was paid back for my nonchalance. I wrote my first student referral yesterday. I had 2 female students go to the hallway to make up a business law quiz. It is never my first choice, since I don't think students should miss class time but they had both already made up another quiz earlier in the week. My custom is to typically poke my head into the hall to make sure no one is discussing answers, to ensure other students walking by don't stop to chat and to make sure students aren't cheating in some other form. 

Unfortunately for me, one of the girls had slipped a folder out in the hall with her quiz and I looked at the moment she opened the folder part-way to look at a sheet of paper inside. On that paper were notes for the chapter the quiz covered. I hated to take both items away but, being the rule stickler I am, took both and issued the zero grade. She seems like a good kid. Full of energy and always willing to participate in discussion. It may have broke my heart more than hers. 

I found the girl later in the day and gave her back her notes so she could study this weekend for the Unit Test. I have a feeling I'm supposed to impact this girl's life in a positive way. I learned a bit more about her yesterday and I want to be a person she can come to. That's my new goal.

Also in the category of payback, I got into my car at 3:15 yesterday and began a drive to a student's worksite.  Less than 2 minutes into the drive I realized my rear end was soaking wet. My seat was completely soaked through but the rest of the interior in my car was dry as California brush. It took me an hour in my car between the worksite, home, the gym then home again to realize the seal on my windshield was leaking. 

It has rained for 2 days straight. I sat during meetings today and watched it fall while sitting in the library. It was beautiful. Straight down rain, like a shower on a weak spray setting that happens to cover a huge swath of land. 

Tomorrow I will wake up without any rain and head up to Chicago. My car will have a few days to dry out (I hope). I'll be dry and have almost all my "homework" completed and ready to go for next week. I need this trip north. Next week is Homecoming and there will be very little time for me to enjoy the week with float building every night, Italian class, football game and the Dance on Saturday evening. 

Home. I'm in a place where this place, Champaign-Urbana, feels like home. But Chicago is home too and one I haven't seen in nearly 2 months. I wonder what kind of home it will feel like? I'm excited to experience it. I'm also looking forward to the business of next week. 

I'll be sure to follow the rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment