Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Homecoming: Also known as how do I fit all this stuff into 5 days?



I was going to wait until the end of the weekend to write this blog but I'm quickly discovering there is just too much going on to wait until after Sunday.

It's Homecoming week. As a new teacher, I'm finding out that this means lots of odd outfits (more so than in Hinsdale or Orland Park) and intense class battles, class color t-shirts and apparently chanting this coming Friday at the assembly.

The last 2 evenings I've spent at the public transit bus depot building a float with my freshmen. Last night went well. Most everyone worked hard and most got along well. They downed nearly 10 whole pizzas and lots of Capri Sun. 4 hours of work seemed to produce greater progress than the other 3 classes and we had more students than the rest. At right is our Tiger who is singing (Tiger Idol is our float theme).

Yesterday was also Celebrity Tuesday. I had a variety of "people" in class. Today was Animal day. I'm not sure what some of my kids were dressed as.

Tomorrow I hear is the craziest day of the year. Lots of yelling. I plan on teaching then leaving to buy supplies for the student tailgate tomorrow. The Freshmen class is making walking tacos as a fundraiser at "tailgreat" and I'm the one with a free schedule in the afternoon so I'm gonna go buy. Good luck to me! Tomorrow night is our last night of float building. We have a ways to go but I think we can do it in our 2 hour time frame. I'll be sure to snap a photo in the parade on Friday.

Friday is class, then assembly then the parade followed by tailgreat and football game. Saturday is the Homecoming Dance which I am required to chaperon. Should be interesting. 

I've got to sleep now. You can tell from the randomness of this post that I'm tired. Expect more of the same on the next one!

Buonasera.
KB


1 comment: