Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Getting It Done

I've had a very productive day here in Chambana. I woke up around 6:30. I was not in the mood to get up so I read a little bit. I've been flipping between Pres. Obama's Audacity of Hope and a book on the history of Italy. 

My first task of the day was to get a few loads of laundry done. Check. I followed that up around 9am calling various businesses that still had to be dealt with since my move, all of whom either didn't get it right or haven't confirmed a cancellation or changed address. Check. Then came the final unpacking in the office. It finally is ready to premier as my work room and guest room. Check!

Around noon, the replacement leg for my new dresser arrived. I had already showered and was about to walk out the door to do another errand so I put the leg down and headed out. My task was to go to the Illinois Terminal to check out parking options. I plan on taking Amtrak or Megabus on my trips up north and as it turns out, parking is available for purchase through Amtrak but not Megabus. Hmmm. At least I have info now. Check.

Then came the completion of my dresser. My purchase at Meijer originally came with a broken leg. The company provides replacement parts for no charge up to 5 years after purchase. It took only 4 days to arrive - good service! The first part of assembly had taken 3 hours. Getting the leg attached, back tacked on and drawers inserted took about 30 minutes. It's nice to have the dresser off my bedroom floor. Another thing done on the list. Check!

I picked today to go to the cinema because it was discount day. I saw Public Enemies, the story of John Dillenger, Chicago gangster, bank robber and shady hero. I had watched them film part of the ending scene - extras roaming the sidewalks on Lincoln Avenue which had been given a facelift, complete with fake streetcar tracks. Old time cars lined the streets for 2 blocks and all the local businesses had been given facade overlays to make them look like they did in the '30s. I need to see if that Asian food restaurant really existed in the '30's near the Biograph or if that was a '00's restaurant with a fancy sign in '30s style. Great film. It was a private showing, at least for part of it. I was the only one in the theater, which is a first.

Tonight I gave the Perseid Meteor Shower a shot. It was on the list but not a confirmed to-do project. I tried sitting out back but not much to see. I walked to the end of my street and laid on the curb in the darkest section of the road. It was a relaxing 30 minutes, if not overly fruitful. I did see 4 meteors. The real show doesn't kick off till after Midnight, so not bad for an early show. Check and Check.

And now the final thing on the list: sleep. G'night friends!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like quite the productive day. Well written entry. Good deal to have the office completed. Must feel good. Love the blog. Love you. Dad

    ReplyDelete