Monday, August 31, 2009

Learning Italian isn't always easy

For the last 3 years I've been learning Italiano on my own. I was thrilled when I first started, prior to my big European whirlwind trip in 2007, because I was understanding the language. Even most verb conjugations made sense. I could count to a million. And while I was in Europe I was able to ask where things were and how much they cost and barter with a street vendor on cost. 

But now I'm taking my first actual Italian class at Parkland. I figured it would not only be a good stress reliever but a good practice before trying to take Italian language courses in Italy next summer. 

I was right.

The last 2 weeks have been pretty easy. I have trouble understanding my teachers directions from time to time (he speaks fast and occasionally throws spanish in the mix since he also teaches spanish). But tonight I learned that I've been saying certain #'s incorrectly! Any number with an 8 in it, after 38 I've said wrong. So 48, 58, 98, etc. All incorrect.  My prof said that since its said fairly quickly, it probably wasn't an issue when I said it while in Italy last time. But writing it is a different story. Already I've learned something!

And you know all those gangster movies or times when people sort of mock the italian speech pattern? Well they're correct! You emphasize the 2nd to last syllable. PIzzaRIa (up down up down). Buon GIORno. Sometimes when we are all speaking in class I feel like we're imitating bad imitations of Italians but really, its the correct pronunciation and syllabic emphasis just on super slow speed. It's crazy.

So there's my Italian update. I thought I'd throw you all something that wasn't exactly teaching related. And now that the Cubs have lost to the Astros I shall go to bed. How saw that this both sider loves 2 Chicago teams and neither one of them can seem to win a game when I watch them. I think it's time for football season....
Buonanotte!
KB

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad that it's enjoyable. And I agree . . . the Cubs AND the White Sox are done. It's too bad, but we're used to it. Hope Urbana H.S. wins the big vote-a-thon.

    ReplyDelete