Monday, August 17, 2009

The School Year Begins! Final Chicago Fling





It has been a busy few days in KBland. I consider last Thursday my first official day at work. I met with my Dept. Chair and three coworkers to set up our office. For a visual, picture a hallway with about 10 classrooms on the 3rd floor of a school. Now turn right into one of those classrooms and pass the teacher's desk. No, it's not a full wall - there is a door there. Walk through that door and you find our office. It is tucked away behind this classroom in a very peculiar setting. My desk is to the left just as you walk in the little room. I face away from the door. Looking ahead I see not only file cabinets but look just a bit more to your right and there is a window and 2 other desks. I'm currently picking out photos to put up on my desk and bulletin board and am taking any submissions you may have! 

At any rate, we have the office completely set up and my files are fairly in order, although I've noticed there is not a single file from my Coop II class and plenty for Coop I and Business Law. Not to worry!

My Dept. Chair kindly followed me to my home and then drove me to the local amtrak/mass transit hub in C-U so I can catch the Megabus. It was my first foray into this particular brand of transport. Not a bad trip although I couldn't imagine taking the bus from Memphis, where it originated, all the way to Chicago. It was packed when I climbed aboard. I suppose if you are going to only spend $10 to get to Chicago it would be worth the time on the bus. As for me it did the job. It reminded me of the coach tour in Europe - not quite as nice or stylish, but still a similar ride. As it happens, I brought along my notes from that particular trip to keep writing my travel book. So up to Chicago and back to Champaign I wrote about the days we spent in Germany. 

I spent my morning on Friday at NWestern getting what will be among my last allergy/immunotherapy shots in Chicago. It was a bit of a process, but I'm willing to donate as much time as the folks working in that office need - their serum has been a lifesaver and given me my healthiest summer in years. Take that dust, grass & trees. (Let's hope ragweed takes the punch too, now that it is sprouting). 

Sarah and I spent lunch along the lake near Huron and inner Lake Shore. We watched a few planes overhead practicing for the Air Show, probably one of my 3 favorite times in Chicago (the others being Marathon weekend and Christmastime when the city is alight). We talked of the future, gave advice and provided encouragement over lunch. 

Friday afternoon Mom and I got pedicures, something she really want to do and I of course am not going to say no. Despite injuring my toe a year ago, I still have no toenail but I must say the nail salon on Southport & Diversey does an amazing job! You would never know there was no nail on my toe - it looks awesome!

Mom, Dad and I tried a new restaurant in the city on Friday night. Trattoria Caterina on Dearborn just south of Harrison. Amazing food. Quaint. Very well priced and a BYO to boot. Definitely try it before summer is out!

Saturday was the Air Show. It was very hot and I had a great time watching the planes. I am a total plane nerd. I'm going to claim it comes from being the first generation in my family since the Revolution not touched by the military in any way. Mom, Dad and I started out watching. Ginger joined in later and we had a great time catching up. 

Saturday evening was spent at Summerdance in Grant Park. The Flat Cats were playing, perhaps Chicago's best swing band. It was still hot and I think I got a good solid 2 hours of dancing in. Kim, Melanie, Paul, Matt and I all danced like crazy. Matt even invented a new move, the Swinging Matty. 

I left Sunday morning for Champaign and got up early this morning for the first of my many meetings for New Teachers. There are about 45 new teachers in the district. It was a great day, packed full of information, much of which I'm still processing. I went up to my office after Day 1 of Orientation and called about 15 of my students to assess whether or not they have jobs. It seems they are doing pretty good there, although a few will need some help in finding a good fit. They seem up for being proactive, which is a great first lesson. 

I'll leave you with a few photos from the weekend, since I haven't posted any in a while! Till the next edition, KB

1 comment:

  1. Great, hectic Chicago weekend. You picked the right day for the Air and Water Show. We got rained out of most of it on Sunday. Love your blogging. Great job! It's good for us who read it and it will be great for you to look back on months and years down the road.

    ReplyDelete